Friday, November 5, 2010

The Beginning


Sometimes the best ideas seem to come effortlessly and without notice. I got out of bed at 4 a.m. this morning to immediately embark upon this new project, a sign of divine intervention in my opinion, as my boyfriend recently asked whether I loved him or sleep more and my response was sleep.  Waking up this early only means one thing: I have something I desperately want to say.

I awoke with a burning desire to share information about healthy eating with people who either are experiences chronic illness, helping a loved one with their illness, or anyone who wants to prevent chronic illness in the first place, all through the power of food.  Originally I thought "I have it!  I'll write a book called "Cook for the Cure" only to find upon my first google search that the phrase has already been coined and trademarked by the KOMEN for the cure conglomerate.  I guess I'm not as much of a genius as I thought.  A blog, however, can be quite effective, personal, inspiring, and best of all, free!

I recently began a personal investigation into the medicinal qualities of food because my mom currently has stage IV cancer and is about to wrap up her first full treatment of chemotherapy.  This is the time for detox, healing, and prevention and we've decided to pursue more knowledge about nutrition and have some fun in the kitchen, so I thought I would share.  I also have had a long-time hobby of researching food safety and the link between food and health.

Chronic disease such as cancer, obesity, and heart disease are everywhere these days and, likewise, devastating nutritional deficiencies, so I thought this pursuit may be well worth the effort if it helps even a few.  There is ample research and evidence about nutritional healing and the body's natural mechanisms for fighting disease.  I feel that this story needs more foot soldiers to grow an already existing and widespread grassroots effort at making this knowledge publicly available.

I could spend days dissecting the bureaucratic deficiencies of big business, Big Pharma, FDA scams, etc, that have led to the demise of safe food and the suppression of nutrition knowledge.  However, I hope to be guided by personal philosophies in my project, which hold true to love, compassion, and patience, not anger, resentment, and fear.  Anger only blinds you to more creative and integrative ways to truly help your loved ones.  I will share information that I think is pertinent and you can make your own decisions about controversial matters.  I find that healing (both for the patient and family members) necessitates inner peace and part of the peace means working patiently within the system that exists today.

Fortunately, for a society with a system that hasn't quite figured out how to treat chronic conditions, the internet is available, a tool that can be a gateway to new worlds of knowledge, and I hope to use this tool as a way to contribute helpful solutions.



My intention in posting my personal opinions, nutritional information, links, etc is to help increase:

1) The quality of nutrition, and ultimately, the quality of life through offering fun and delicious cooking ideas

2) Nutritional literacy for anyone who wants to treat food as a healing agent

3) Awareness about the integral part food plays in anyone's life.  

4) Awareness about cancer and chronic disease prevention through food choices

As a health advocate, I may throw in articles that have to do with health information not related to food.



***Please be Advised***  In a moment I will tell you who I am.. but first I would like to say that.....

I am not a doctor.  I in no way make a claim that I know how to cure cancer.  ALWAYS check with your personal doctor or nutritionist before embarking on any radical diet changes, but if your doctor does not help you and your family with these regards, please please please, do the research on your own.  There is a world of healing knowledge outside of conventional medicine...

A brief bio so you can trust my opinion....

In terms of credentials, I graduated Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa from the University of Southern California in Communication and continued on to receive my M.A. in Occupational Therapy also from the University of Southern California.  Occupational Therapy aims at helping those with any kind of health barrier accomplish life's most meaningful tasks.  Eating well, feeling well, and healing well are all included under that domain.  Outside of academics, I have been an athlete my entire life, competing at The University of Southern California in track and field for five years.  As any elite athlete knows, performance in any respect depends largely upon the fuel we feed our bodies.  Finally, I have taken a personal interest in food safety.  In feeling the need to share information in the past, I have started twitters and posted facebook health tips, gaining a following of friends and family who often urged me to start a blog.  I think I have just been waiting for the right moment, the perfect intention, and a little divine inspiration....

P.S.  If you are interested in following my mom's story, she writes for her own website and blog on www.timetobreathe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment